Monday, March 30, 2009

A Peaceful Ending

I knew deep in my heart that I would have to write this someday, I just didn't think it would come so soon. On Sunday morning, this world lost a wonderful husband, father and friend. Our beloved, G. Thomas, very quietly and peacefully passed away. For the many, many who loved Tom his journey was not long enough, but for Tom it was all he could bear. He gave a gallant effort. He went through many surgeries his last few days in the hospital and enjoyed his brief time at home. On Friday night he sat with Bonnie and their friend, Fred, and watched the sunset across the river while sipping a martini. It was a beautiful evening and one of the best Tom had in a while. About 3am on Saturday morning, after being awake for a couple of hours, a restless Tom said three simple words to Bonnie. I love you. Words to be forever cherished. Shortly after that he fell deeply asleep, never to quite awake.

We will all be forever grateful to Tom for the wonderful impact he had on our lives. He truly loved us all. We are all better people for having Tom in our lives.

I hope in the coming days, we can all share our "Tom" stories, as I am sure there are many. God Bless Tom and peace to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. In this difficult time it's hard to comprehend and even put in to words the love for my Dad!

    I found these lyrics today! PERFECT!

    My Dad is like no one else I have ever known
    My Dad, I remember each evening when he'd come home to see how he'd smile, and have all the while the love that he always would show

    My Dad could never have been a better friend to me My Dad, I could turn to him no matter what would be This friend firm and true, what one man can do this person who's given so much
    I could say "thank you" a thousand times
    but I never could say it enough

    Who always brings the sun home with him
    That's My Dad - That's My Dad
    and who always knows the right song to sing
    That's My Dad - That's My Dad
    stood by me when my world was shaking
    held my hand when my heart was aching
    He picked me up when I fell down
    I could say "I love you" a thousand times
    but I never could say it enough

    Who always hangs the world on a string
    That's My Dad - That's My Dad
    Who is the one who taught so many things
    That's My Dad - That's My Dad
    How can you say thanks to someone
    someone who means so much
    touched my life so deeply
    That's My Dad

    Forever in my heart! I love you, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom was a wonderful man who loved life and everyone loved him as well. He was extremely generous and very fair and a master at compromise too.
    We all here at Totemm Resorts adored Tom and we know he loved it here too and will never forget the time Bonnie and he had together.
    you were the best Tom and life was far too short for a great man like you!
    love you man, Eric

    ReplyDelete